Sunday, October 30, 2011

It’s My Party And I’ll Cry If I Want To!

Today is my birthday. I don't feel any older than I did yesterday, and I don’t think that I look any older (at least, I hope not!), but there’s something about a birthday that makes you aware of the onward march of life. Yes, it is true, time flies! Last week, as my husband and I shared a joint birthday celebration with our daughters and their families, it was (lovingly) brought to our attention that our combined ages amounted to 12 decades! Shocking when you think of it like that! We always joke that we are getting old – but that’s ridiculous! Today is the first day of my last year in my fifties … the last year of my fifth decade … whoa … I think I should stop analysing where I am on my own time line – it’s getting a tad depressing! L

I’m so glad that God doesn’t reveal to us the exact – and projected – details of our lives. I have no doubt that we would receive the grace and strength to deal with the knowledge of whatever what the future held – but somehow I think that I would prefer to receive the grace and strength as I needed it, and not always have to feel that I was bracing myself for the challenges of a future of which I already knew the details. Wow – that was a long and convoluted sentence, but basically I’m saying that I’m happy for God to keep me in the dark about the future and that I’ll be content accepting His grace for today!

The Word of God tells us that our focus should be on today. “Live a day at a time. Don’t worry about tomorrow”, says Jesus, “I’ve got that all under control – just don’t waste today – it’s the most important day of your life.” Sorry to put words into Jesus’ mouth, but I’m fairly sure that’s what he meant in Matthew 6:34!

He will provide grace for the day. He will meet all my needs according to His riches in Glory … His compassions fail not – they are new every morning. Great indeed is His faithfulness!

It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to” … but there are no tears for me on this birthday because “the joy of the Lord is my strength” and I’m just so grateful that in Christ I have everything I need for a satisfying life and a fulfilling future (whatever it holds – and I’ll find that out when it happens!).

*These are the texts that have shaped my thoughts today:

Philippians 4:19 (NIV)

19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Lamentations 3:22-25 (NIV)

22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;

Nehemiah 8:10 (NIV)

10 Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”

2 Peter 1:3 (NIV)

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

*And this is the text that underscores my trust in God … He has my future in His hands:

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”.

Blessings … and Grace for the day!

No comments: