Thursday, October 6, 2011

How’s Your Blood Pressure?

Some years ago I was at a management conference where the speaker repeatedly referred to the “hypotensials” and I struggled to grasp the concept. As a trained nurse, I thought that this word had a medical ring to it. Something to do with low blood pressure, it seemed. What, I wondered, are the things that bring my blood pressure down? There are certainly plenty of things that make it rise! Anyway, is low blood pressure such a problem?

Some time into the presentation an overhead appeared on the screen, bearing the words, “High Potential”. Apparently we were being asked to consider those things that had merit, what we deemed to be the “high potentials” in our organisation. So it had nothing to do with lowering blood pressure after all! Or did it?

The Bible tells us, “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable— if anything is excellent or praiseworthy— think about such things” (Philippians 4:8). These are the things that are meritorious, that do bear contemplation, that uplift and inspire. So, in that light, they could also be considered “hypotensials” – de-stressors, blood pressure levellers. A pill to pop when you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything – just what the doctor ordered!

I do not believe that stress or anxiety is on God’s agenda for his people. It is not the will of God that the people of God should live stress-filled lives, lives that constantly trigger high spiritual blood pressure. God wants us to have hearts that remain calm and serene through all of life’s circumstances, unpredictable as they are. Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Don’t let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." (John 14:27) This is his prescription for heart health!

Years ago we used to sing a chorus, “It’s amazing what praising can do!” - and that is absolutely true! A heart filled with praise cannot be burdened with things that weigh it down, drawing it away from God. A heart filled with praise is focussed on God, not on self. A praising heart is a hypotensial, and, indeed, it certainly does have high potential for promoting spiritual health!

To be sure, there will be times, perhaps when our supply of “hypotensials” is low, and we have failed to remember the advice of Paul to the Philippians, and to ourselves, that the stresses build up, and our heart hurts from the pressures it feels.

However, it does not have to stay that way. So often Scripture reminds us that we have a God who is willing to bear our burdens, a God who desires wholeness for his children, a God who “is not willing that any should perish” (2 Peter 3:9). This is the God who created us in his own image and makes it possible to reflect his holiness. This is indeed a God worth praising, a God who sees the High Potential in you, his beloved child!

The Message puts it brilliantly, Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. (Phil 4:8)

Read: Psalm 139

Sing: Search Me, O God (Tune: “Maori Farewell”)

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,

Try me, O Saviour, Know my thoughts, I pray.

See if there be some wicked way in me;

Cleanse me from every sin and set me free.

Reflect: God, the Great Physician, who desires wholeness for my life has a prescription to keep my spiritual blood pressure steady and stable. Do I consistently take my “medication”?

Respond: “I choose to be holy, set apart for you, my Master, ready to do your will”

Pray: Dear Great Physician, touch my heart today. Help me to focus on things that encourage spiritual health. I want to be strong and healthy of heart, O God – ready to do your will!

Sing: O For a Heart to Praise My God by Charles Wesley

O for a heart to praise my God,

A heart from sin set free,

A heart that always feels the blood

So freely spilt for me.


A heart resigned, submissive, meek,

My great redeemer's throne;

Where only Christ is heard to speak,

Where Jesus reigns alone.


A humble, lowly, contrite heart,

Believing, true and clean;

Which neither life nor death can part

From him that dwells within.


A heart in every thought renewed,

And full of love divine;

Perfect and right, and pure and good,

A copy, Lord, of thine.


Thy nature, gracious Lord, impart,

Come quickly from above;

Write thy new name upon my heart,

Thy new best name of love.


No comments: