Monday, October 3, 2011

Hibernation is not good for the soul - or the blog!

Where have I been for the past three years?

Why did I allow myself to hibernate like that?

Hibernation is good for bears but I don’t think that my cyber-hibernation has done me any good at all!

Far from waking refreshed (though perhaps somewhat famished) after an extended siesta, I’m emerging from my den feeling rather slothful and a tad embarrassed for having hidden away for so long. I not only slept through the winter but I also let several other seasons slip by. I failed to appreciate the beauty of the springs, the joy of the summers, the wonder of the autumns and the crisp chill of the winters. What marvellous experiences have gone unnoticed while I was in retreat? Physically, I did not go anywhere, but if the dates on this blog are anything to go by, my mind has certainly been somewhere else!

I will admit that, despite failing to fulfil my commitment to write, and forgetting my pledge of accountability, the past three years have brought some special joys to me – in the shape of four precious new grandchildren, bringing the total to six special little people in my life – the oldest of whom is yet to turn five! It is truly a blessing to see the growth and development of these lovely children – the offspring of my own precious two daughters who I love so much, and of whom I am so very proud! God has indeed blessed us through our family … our children and our children’s children … so Biblical!

I do not consider myself to be old (although my children and grandchildren might have other opinions!) but I have reached the stage in my life where I truly endorse what the writer of Proverbs had to say about families: “Children's children [grandchildren] are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children” (17:6).

I thank God for his blessings, especially those that he sends in the form of people who are near and dear to me. I love them so much. I just pray that I will be constant in my example of godliness and holiness, so that, as a family, we will continue to share in the joy that comes from following Christ.

No comments: