Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Identity

I've decided to change my name - "Jen's Journey" had to go! "Already? So soon?" you may well ask! But, having signed out of the very first blog that I had ever posted, I thought I'd google myself (just to see if I was actually in cyberspace!) - not exactly a good way to "find" oneself [might develop that thought later! :-)] - anyway, after encountering a zillion Jens on their various Journeys, I came to the conclusion that I needed a tag that was a bit more creative, something that was uniquely mine - hence JENASIS. Well - I thought that it was unique and creative until I tried to change my URL to reflect the new name and found that it wasn't available. A subsequent Google search came up with 11,900 results for "Jenasis". I just can't win! But I'm going to keep the name anyway - for now, at least! I like this new name for 2 reasons:

1. It is reflective (phonetically - if you're imaginative!) of Genesis, which speaks of newness and creativity - so I thought that was appropriate for my starting over;

2. It says "Jen As Is" - and that's the way I want it to be - I'm beginning again and asking you to take me as you find me - "just as I am" - with all my faults and imperfections, no pretence, no "airs & graces" - just Jen "as is". I want to be an "as is" Christian - honest, open, available - that way you know what you're getting.

At the risk of stretching the point, I would suggest that, to a degree, this captures something of the essence of holiness. The Apostle Paul tells us not to conform but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds, etc ...

Holiness is a renewal, it is change and it is development of a character that so strongly reflects that of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that we no longer have to dwell upon who we are or what we are like - Jesus will be pre-eminent in our lives. So, if Christ, through God's Holy Spirit, is living in us we can say "take me as I am" without fear of what people may see or get, because we know that they are seeing and getting Jesus!

No comments: